Sunday, September 9, 2007

60 miles! My longest ride yet!

Bright & early on Saturday morning, I met with the rest of the PacWest Athletics crew and we embarked on quite the journey. It started in San Francisco, moved across the bridge and through Sausalito. We then continued through the Marin Headlands, and onward towards Stinson Beach--this was actually part of the route which I will be completing on September 29th.

When we reached Stinson Beach, I checked my tires had a CLIF bar and refilled my water bottles....Not quite ready for what was ahead. We started our ascent to Mt. Tamplais, which I never thought would end. Nearly 3500 feet later, my thighs were burning and I was in a completely different weather climate. It was now sunny & warm, where Stinson had been overcast & cold. I had actually traveled above the clouds.

We spent a few minutes resting at the top of the mountain, before descending through the trees back towards civilization. When we arrived in Mill Valley, we started heading east toward Tiburon & the notorious Paradise Loop. This portion of the ride was relatively flat with some rolling hills & gave us a view looking south at San Francisco and eventually of the east bay.

Finally, we were headed back towards San Francisco...one final ascent from Sausalito to the Golden Gate Bridge and back to my apartment.

As detailed in the Route Map, we traveled 60 miles, with a total of 4500 feet of climbing.

This was by far the toughest ride I have done yet...and I am told the Waves to Wine route will not be quite as tough as the one I completed on Saturday.




No comments: