Sunday, September 23, 2007

And the soreness sets in...

The rain subsided by 11am on Saturday morning & never returned! There was a cloud cover throughout the entire weekend, which helped keep everything nice & cool on the road.

Needing some stuff for the BIG weekend ahead, I stopped by Mike's Bikes downtown to visit with my new pals. I purchased a cycling jersey, knee warmers, cycling socks, tubes & a hand pump. This cycling venture definitely became much more expensive than I had ever imagined...but definitely worth it. I now am the proud owner of an awesome bike with all the needed tools/accessories, as well as a nifty looking outfit. I am the most stylish cyclist on the road!

I left from San Francisco, by 1pm & managed to ride approximately 60 miles through the North Bay & Marin Headlands before returning home. While I was sore, some stretching & a hot shower help manage the slight pains.
The story became much different on Sunday.

I decided on a shorter ride for Sunday, thinking it would be better to conserve my energy and taper off before Waves-to-Wine. I did the Paradise Loop, a similar route from which I had done on Saturday. By the time I was about halfway through, the muscles in my right knee were getting aggravated. I managed to finish the 40-mile ride averaging about 14 miles per hour, but today I am definitely hurting.

Planning on visiting the doctor sometime this weekend, hopefully they will prescribe me an anti-inflammatory to keep the swelling & pain reduced. I will be taking it easy until Wednesday, when I plan to do a short 15 mile flat ride to keep my legs ready for the weekend.

A good massage sometime next week is in order, as I will be one sore puppy when this is all over.

No comments: